Friday, April 1, 2011

A Fond Farewell - LCD Soundsystem



Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines the word denial as such: A psychological defense mechanism in which confrontation with a personal problem or with reality is avoided by denying the existence of the problem or reality.

To that point - it is with great denial, that I write about the end of an era for one of my favorite bands, LCD Soundsystem.

The NY pop, electro, disco, punk, (whatever genre you want to put them in) outfit - had a near flawless run, spanning three full length albums, (four, if you count the Nike deal) countless singles and the title of throwing the biggest party in your town when they came through. Yet, in some strange way, it feels almost right. This all too cool crew waves goodbye and James Murphy makes good on his promise that LCD was only temporary. Of course, the lot of us figured the engine would keep on running as long as we would keep on dancing... But, to the chagrin of many, the guy has kept his word and we'll be left to our discography and they go out on top.

Alright, let's get on with it, because I could truly sing the praises of James Murphy/LCD Soundsystem all night. But to wallow, piss and moan almost seems blasphemous to the spirit in which this band abides.

While it's definitely not easy to cope with loss, I do however suggest the following: 1) Read Pitchfork's wonderful career spanning article that includes a track by track analysis here. AND 2) If you aren't going to be at the final LCD show at MSG, April 2nd, you can stream it live on Pitchfork.

The man himself, said it perfectly: “I make dance music, or disco, ... And dance music isn't really about anything. I can tell if it's working: Are people dancing? Yes.' Then I've achieved my goal.”

So go ahead - (sure, it definitely downright sucks, when you really think about it) for this last time, enjoy yourself; tap your toe one last time with James Murphy and Co.

These guys deserve an applause and a dance or two for bowing out in style.

A few of my favorite tracks can be streamed below (I gotta tell ya, it was very difficult to somehow limit this to five tracks).

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
LCD Soundsystem - Home
LCD Soundsystem - Daft Punk Is Playing At My House

No comments:

Post a Comment